June 2nd 2017 is National Donut Day! To celebrate this momentous day, for the past few months, I have been going around tasting donuts all over Dublin. To be extra thorough in this review, I tried them more than once, so you know – to make extra sure that I give you all the right facts. I will say this, Dublin might be known for Guinness, pub crawls, cliff walks and canal views. But Dublin needs to be known for making some of the best donuts we have ever eaten!
[bctt tweet=”The best donuts in Dublin and where you can find them!” username=”@Thisisus_living”]
Here are my fave donuts, and where you can find them in Dublin. Give them a try and let me know which is your fave!
6. Krust – Our first ever taste of a cronut. A cronut is a croissant mixed with a donut. I have to admit, I wasn’t wow’ed by this on first bite. But I warmed up to it after a couple of bites. Krust also does regular donuts, but we decided to try a cronut instead. I will be back to sample the regular donuts soon!
5. Aungier Danger – I think I may have hyped this too much in my head. I went with high expectations – I especially had to try their creme egg donut that they brought out just for Easter. I am so sorry to say, my expectations were not met. The filling was a little sparse. I found the donut to be quite heavy, and a little dry. They were kind of not so memorable. I actually had to look back at the pics to remember what we ate.
4. Boston Donuts – In true American fashion – this store boasts a bunch of flavours, and endless options to choose from. Rob and I battled to select donuts to sample. They were also the cheapest, and even offered a combo “coffee and donut” deal. I chose the mint chip topped with a mint thin. Rob had something chocolatey. He didn’t enjoy the pudding filling but we both agreed that the donuts were fresh, and spongey. I absolutely loved my mint chip donut! I could have this again, for sure!
3. Offbeat – Truthfully, I would rate that there is no third spot. Rob favours Rolling Donut over Offbeat, whereas I honestly dream of the red velvet cream filling at Offbeat often. We have gone back to both spots more than once – this just shows how undecided we actually are on this. I will say it again, the red velvet cream cheese filling is heavenly – and it is packed with filling. Secretly, I dream of going back and eating all the donuts in all of their stores all over Dublin. Leave no donut behind – they all will be mine!
2. Rolling Donut – The store that started this whole donut craze. We had our first taste in the first week I arrived in Dublin last year, and even went back with our friends visiting from the UK. Rob still talks about his first ever Rolling Donut, the maple bacon. I actually bought us some donuts from here to celebrate National donut day today (also, I needed them for this post! Not really). With all the sentimentality, Rolling Donut should have been first place, and it would have been, had I not stumbled across a little shop in Blackrock (thank you Instagram).
1. Mellow out – OMG. These are the best donuts in Dublin. This might look like a small little take out shop from the outside – but it is bursting with flavours and I literally felt like a kid spinning in my high top chair eating these donuts. The. Best. Donuts. EVER. I had the 99 – which is a donut with icing and sprinkles, and marshmallow filling, topped with a flake. Rob had a classic chocolate donut (with chocolate ganache filling). They were both out of this world. So yummy!
So there you have it, the best donuts in Dublin, all picked out for you on National Donut Day! I hope you use this as a great excuse to have a cheat meal, and smash some donuts – but who needs a reason to eat donuts?!
Tell me your fave flavour donut – and where you eat them?
Unlock the simple life,
p.s. If social media is your thing (snap! It’s my fave too!), you should totally follow me on Instagram.
p.p.s. I try post varied content once or twice a month, to be sure you don’t miss out on the new post you should sign up and get all the news straight in your inbox – Sign up now!